Monday, April 4, 2011

juggling

I never learned how to juggle things in my hands. I've tried, you know in PE and such long ago, but it was never anything I felt I needed to pursue. It's not an easy skill to learn.

But then, here I am this morning, trying to pack for a couple-night trip with my little guy on my own and I realize I have learned to juggle and it might be more impressive then juggles bowling pins on fire. Laundry loads in and out, baby crawling around in a still somewhat-non-baby-proofed house, eating breakfast, organizing what to bring, renting a car at the last minute, needy pets - I could go on but I think you understand.

In moments like these I try to remind myself how far I've come from those overwhelming days last summer when my son was teeny-tiny. It's easy for me to become overwhelmed. I like things laid back, not hurried so when things start bustling I tend to shut down a bit. Motherhood forces you to push your boundaries more than I would have thought. People think it's a breeze - especially if you stay at home - but there's so much to learn from the experience. This blog really is a bit of a selfish endeavor. Lately I have felt the need to seriously search my heart so that I remind myself of the strength I have to hold it together and do new things. There are days I don't know how I'll do it all, and yet I do. You have those too but we forget to stop (stop? what's that?) and reflect in those rare quiet moments that we can and will do it. Take a moment with me to think about your past day, week, month and all you've accomplished. You'll impress yourself. Now, let's look at the present and future with confidence, smile, and start juggling with grace and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment