Friday, April 1, 2011

defining

So as to not go on and on, this is what I put for my "about me" statement: wife, new mama, former teacher, friend living in atlanta, ga. trying to figure it all out and keep my balance.

It's hard to define who we are, and it changes so much as our lives change. I wonder how often it's not denial that keeps us from seeing or wanting change, but that it can happen so fast we don't understand what just happened. This is how I felt last summer after having J-bug (nickname for my son who was born at the end of June - more on him later). It is truly amazing how in a matter of hours or minutes the person we define ourselves as changes, drastically.

Plus what does what I am have to do with who I am, what I love, and my passions? Reflecting on my "about me" it really doesn't tell you what's in my heart, things I ponder, so maybe I'll tweak it. Until then here's more "about me": I love to travel. We don't have an endless budget so we can't all the time, but our goal as a family is to have amazing experiences together. I like to cook and love food. We live in a city where it's easy to get a great meal at a reasonable price. I by no means claim to be a foodie or expert, but I do think my palate has changed in recent years and I've become somewhat of a food snob. I scrapbook, wow that feels like a deep dark secret. It is an artistic challenge for me to get things just right. I'm not type-a but this is where a perfectionist side comes out in me. It's nice to put my photos into a story. I like to be outside and enjoy nature. I enjoy reading. I'm not extremely disciplined on this, but I do love a good book and have found a new interest in non-fiction and historical fiction (oh wait, I'm not really disciplined about much).

It's scary to put who you are "out there". I respect a lot of people for doing that. I think sometimes it's one way to gain some clarity on who we are, what we want, what are strengths and weaknesses are and accepting each part of us. Maybe that's why I'm doing this - trying to figure it all out while keeping my balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment